Friday, October 24, 2008

What's in a name? (part three)

Sarah Rose


Back to my turn, right? Me, him, me...sounds fair to me! Woohoo, because I became obsessed with the name Paige and thought it flowed beautifully with Michele as a middle name. Ahhhh, Paige Michele. Done.


One tiny problem. Husband did not like it. This actually did not faze me in the slightest at first, as I pointed out that I hadn't been particularly fond of Madeline, but submitted to his choice because, afterall, it was his turn. And now its my turn. Paige Michele. Done.


I went on merrily, ignoring him, for months, dreaming of my Paige Michele and imagining the older two girls calling her GiGi. However, CJ took every opportunity to voice his resistance, insisting that the girl would be made fun of, even though the worst he could come up with was "Paging Paige Bragg" for how kids would make fun of her. He told me all he could think of was a blank page in a notebook when I said the name.


Could it be that he didn't just dislike the name, but actually had a neurotic aversion to the name? Well, that wouldn't do, would it? I mean, would I really want to give my daughter a name that her daddy passionately hated?


Fine then.


I asked what he wanted to name her...he had no suggestions. I start throwing out a few names...no. no. no.


One day, when I felt we were getting way too close to delivery without agreeing on a name, and realizing my dream of Paige Michele simply could not be realized if he truly hated the name, I sat in the living room with him and just started throwing out names to see if we could get a short list of possibilities....(name?) no. (name?) no. (name?) no. (name?) no. (name?) no. Sarah? (pause), I could do Sarah. Really? I like Sarah, too. Should we pick Sarah? Sure. Okay, it's Sarah then!


And that's how we got Sarah...it was a bonus that it was a biblical name meaning "princess" and also that it was CJ's great grandma's name.


CJ decided he wanted the middle name to be Grace. Now obviously I like the name Grace, but I thought it was overused as a middle name and wanted something more special and unique to flow with Sarah.


Isn't Rose just that perfect name? Sarah Rose...is there a more beautiful name in existance? I loved it so much I forgot all about Paige Michele. But CJ thought he liked Sarah Grace better. Well, guess what? Up yours, buddy! Remember, it's MY turn, and I had to completely give up our daughter Paige Michele, our little GiGi, because of your abnormal aversion to the name! Sarah Rose it is!


And so it was. A bit of third born humor happened when CJ brought the paperwork home to enroll her on his health insurance within 30 days of birth. He had filled it out and I had to sign it. I take a look at it and see Sarah G. Bragg. Um, Sarah G., CJ? Yea, Sarah Grace. Um, your daughter's name is SARAH ROSE!!! For Pete's Sake!


Thank goodness for that Rose...she is our Sarah Rosy, Rose, Rosy, Rosebug, and CJ's favorite Roe. For her first birthday she had a completely rose themed party. Her name suites her perfectly.
Here is Sarah Rosy at her first Rosy birthday party. Next to her is her fairy godsister, Ashley.

1 comment: