Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas Morsels

I have no idea how to link to the christmas tour of homes, but for my 5 blog readers out there :) here is a taste of our decorations this year...



Our beautiful tree...sorry its blurry...We have a vaulted family room and so can handle this amazing 9 ft (i think, maybe taller) tree. We are fake tree people. This one is pre-lit. We got it from my inlaws a couple years ago when they downsized their home and it didn't fit anymore...lucky us! I am very traditional with my tree. My favorite ornaments are the homemade ones and the ones given as gifts from loved ones...I round it out with red, silver and white balls and red ribbon. We have a star at the top. I play Andy Williams every year while we decorate...a tradition from my youth.

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care...if you have been over at my sister's blog, these will look familiar. My family all had these handmade stockings growing up and my mom had one made for my husband and each of my girls (as well as my sister and brothers families) as they were added. I love them so much, they are my favorite things to bring out each Christmas. I remember my sis and bro and I wearing them around the house when they'd come out of the box, they came all the way up to our hips. My girls haven't discovered this fun yet..I may have to suggest it to them before we put them away this year.

My beautiful new nativity set this year...a gift from my husband, and my mom-the wisemen-I love it so much...


Closer look...



My mom got this advent box for me for my birthday this year. This is the first year we are trying it out. I love the concept, but we have not been very good about checking it each night. In each box I put a portion of the christmas story out of the bible, four pieces of a puzzle-one for each girl per night-and a sweet treat for them. When we remember to do it they love it...I think we have about a week's worth of boxes to do tonight...oh well, even that will be a memory in and of itself!


My mil is amazing and hand makes porceline dolls, starting with liquid porceline, she pours it into molds and fires it in her kiln. Then she hand paints them and makes the clothes, ususally with no pattern! Here is our santa...she has made one for everyone in the family and it is a favorite, treasured item to bring out each year.


A little something I put together for the entry table...




My mil helped my girls make this little quilt for me last year...each girl did a square and their picture is in the center of their square...very touching, this kind of sentiment is so me.



My mil also had my girls make these little christmas tote bags a couple years ago and I had the girls color the wood Noel signs...again, the sentimental value of these is high and I love to display them each year...

Thanks for stopping by! Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful! i loved the tour. Thanks my dear.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the Nativity! And the advent box, what a great idea....we have an advent calendar that you can put a piece of candy in for each day, but I must say, I like yours much better! Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many things I didn't know about your decoration and traditions. I am looking at it again. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too many wonderful memories that you have created to want to be in sub zero temps. I feel so a part of your life even if not there! I love the nativity also. Love ya
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss this post? I guess it has been a while since I have been on. Love the quilt. Completely jealous of it. Secretly dream of learning to quilt and making special memories like that.

    Wonder which stocking is yours. :)

    Love

    Non

    ReplyDelete