Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My 29+7th birthday...it was a good day!

It was a low-key, pleasant day for my birthday! I woke early, as always, and enjoyed some computer time, quiet, and coffee. I spent the morning in my pajama's doing some Christmas baking because it was Wednesday, and I don't have to drive noon carpool on Wednesday. At 11:45am I was amazed at how fast the morning had gone and how my carpool friend would be bringing Sarah and Grace home from school soon (our private school gets out at 12:00 K-2nd). At 12:15 I was expecting them to walk through the door any moment. At 12:20 the phone rings and I see its the school office. The following conversation transpires:

School office: Hi, Mrs. Bragg, I have the girls here.
Me: Oh! They didn't get picked up by Janie? That's so unusual, she never forgets!
S.O.: Well, they said that it's your day to pick up.
Me: No, I don't pick up on Wednesday's, Janie does, but I can come get them.
S.O.: Uh, it's TUESDAY!
Me: Oh, OH! It's TUESDAY! I've been thinking it's Wednesday ALL MORNING LONG!

Thankfully CJ was home and able to run get them. Is this what happens to you on the downward spiral to 40?? Typically I will forget something, but once I'm triggered with reality my brain snaps into focus. I was totally clueless on the carpool issue today...what might this belie for the year to come??

So I finish my baking and take Sarah on an outing, which she had earned by getting 8 "no morning fits" stickers in a row. We shopped and erranded (is that a word?) for several hours. When I got home, it was time for my annual dinner. Here's a picture: For several years now, CJ has purchased and steamed for me a few pounds of king crab legs. I LOVE them. He melts me some butter and lemon, steams them up and I have at it while everyone else sits, stares, and drools at me because its mine, all mine, I don't have to share unless I want to. :) I round it out with a glass of Pinot Noir. Delicious!

Evie went to her friend, Hannah's house after school today. She was dropped off as I was starting my crab dinner and the girls surprised me with homemade chocolate cupcakes that they had made just for me! Thanks little ladies!
This here is the official "blowing out the candles" photo...there is a photo of me like this every year since I was old enough to blow out candles and as an adult I keep up this tradition of photgraphing the moment! :) It isn't pretty, but its tradition! :)

My mom has always been the first to call me on my birthday. It usually starts out like this "I wasn't feeling so well about 36 years ago...". I was up at 5am this morning and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited and waited for my phone call from my mommy and it never came! I finally broke down and tried to call HER in the afternoon and couldn't get ahold of her at home or on her cell. So, naturally, I started worrying that something happened to her, because what else would keep her from calling me first thing on my birthday??!!
Much, much later in the day my brother calls...my only family member at this point to call! He is usually the only one who DOESN'T call so he was quite pleased with himself. He informed me that mom was busy caring for his children that day. Huh...
Much later in the day...evening to be exact, I finally get my call. And it turns out, I am lucky I blogged that I was a birthday girl this morning, because that is what tipped her off that she had forgotten something today, when she checked my blog this evening! Oh well, it was still sweet to get birthday wishes and love from my mommy. :) And I got lots of birthday well-wishes from my facebook friends, and heard from my dad, my sister, my sil Julia, and my inlaws, too.
To top it off, it is the Biggest Loser Finale tonight, I am currently on commercial break from it to finish this post.
It was a great day.
Happy Birthday to me. May 36 be a good year.


3 comments:

  1. So sorry I monopolized your Mom to the point of her forgetting your Birthday!!! I even knew it was your birthday but didn't think to remind her, because, of course, she would never forget. So Sorry!!!!!

    I'm so happy you had a wonderful day. The King Crab legs sound SO good, I'm drooling right along with your children...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also drooling over the crab legs. I might have to consider that for a new tradition at our house. Of course I have 11 months to wait for them. That won't work.

    Love Non

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should be too embarassed to comment but no I am not. I love you and am very proud of you. You know I love crab legs too. I will live vicariously through your enjoyment.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete